Vision is seeing the future you are creating. It doesn’t matter what your current reality is, at least not for this exercise. The truth is you will create whatever you envision. So, see something good!
Begin with this simple vision process:
- Imagine for a moment you are sitting down to coffee with a friend, someone that you are willing to open up to and share your biggest successes. It’s 1 year from today. (You can choose any time frame you desire but I recommend one year or less.)
- Speak your biggest successes that have come to pass. Speak as if these things have already happened.
- Focus on the feelings. Focus on the joy and the excitement. As Mike Dooley says, “do not get lost in the ‘cursed hows’”. You can share details as long as they excite you and help you imagine it is real.
A few things to remember:
- This is not a laundry list. It is a vision of your future! You will create the reality you envision. If you envision something dull, or if you assign upset, sad or frustrated feelings to it, you will create that reality.
- This is an opportunity to see a life that is bigger and more fabulous than what you had previously expected. There are no constraints on your imagination. Don’t artificially put them there, and don’t censor yourself.
- I find it helpful to start with, “I am so excited to share all that has happened over the last 12 months. This year has been tremendous…”
- Stand up, speak out loud and feel the emotions in your body.
- When you are finished, write it down. You will be pleasantly surprised when you review your vision after a time and see what you have created. Often, what you create happens faster and better than your original vision.
- Spend 16 seconds to 2 minutes a day creating your vision. No more!
- Pull one idea from this vision that you can make a reality now. One phone call, one email, one book to read, something. Do it!
- Be the person in the vision. Dress, speak, smell, live like the future you. Do as much as you can without going into debt to do so.
See the future you are creating.